Unangband 0.6.2-wip6 has been released. This is a work in progress release: please save often.
I've worked hard on improving the documentation and experience for those new to Unangband, as well as fixed some major stability bugs on the Windows platform. If you've tried Unangband recently due to the discussions on angband.oook.cz and were dissatisfied, please download this release and see if I've addressed the issues you raised.
You can download a windows executable from http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangband/unangband-062-wip6-win.zip.
You can download the source files from
### Game Play ###
- The unique elementals now get escorts of their ilk.
- Spores can now be stored in the quiver (Thanks to Mikolaj Konarski for the suggestion and
code for this).
- Reworked campaign mode so that you can almost always travel back and forward between two
locations. Added some additional locations. This is very much a work in progress and will need
balancing to ensure there are dungeons that can be accessed easily to cover all depths.
- Monsters in groups are now lead by a higher level leader. Add ability for monsters to vary by
- Undead now live with undead animals. Animal summoners summon undead animals if they are undead.
- Added low level wands of Spark and re-organised wand depths and prices slightly.
- Blessing is now the first paladin spell to help low level paladins with combat.
- Made men of Bree observant and Haradrim warriors fearless.
- If a summoned minion of yours dies, you incure a mana debt equal to the monster level. If you
cannnot pay the debt from available mana, you'll pay it in blood instead.
- Monsters you summon now have a time limit to their existence.
- If the deepest monster on a level is powerful, litter the level with the remains of its victims.
- Morgoth is now an equal opportunity employer.
- Try to ensure monster drops 1 weapon, 1 body armour, 1 helmet etc. when calculating monster
drops to provide a better as well as more realistic set of drops.
### User Interface ###
- Added tips interface to allow context sensitive tips to be placed in the game. Have
created a few tips but there are many more to do. See info\readme.txt for what tips can be
put in the game.
- Added skill display for each class and race during character birth mode.
- Updates to documentation covering character creation.
- Added a 'difficulty' level at character birth mode. Be honest with your choices and you'll
get the best in-game experience.
- Display character height in feet.
- Reduce sensitivity in birth menus to mouse input.
### Bug fixes ###
- Fixed major bug with mouse interaction with looking on Windows platform.
- Fixed problem with strange wand effects when repeating wand activations (Reported
- Fixed bug where monsters would only breath when afraid (Reported by Matthias
- Fixed numerous bugs with animate objects and summoned monsters (Reported by Matthias
- Fixed bug where monsters would stop being generated on a level (Reported by Matthias
- Fixed bug with repeat and shop services.
- Fixed bug with Throwing flag no longer being obvious (Thanks to Mikolaj Konarski for
- Fix darkness so its useful as a spell.
- Fix logic problem with polymorphing a monster on terrain.
"Don't let the name fool you: The Unnamed Angband has no shortage of distinct flavour that sets it apart from any other variant. You adventure in Tolkien's world, through towns and wilderness and multiple dungeons, journeying from Bree towards greater and greater danger.Welcome to the old Unangband page, a variant of Angband which I developed for over ten years.
This variant roughly doubles the monster list, expands the class-based system of Angband with numerous possible specialties that let you fashion a unique character, offers a positively absurd variety of terrain (cages that trap you, floor chests that can store objects, burnable woods, chasms, bloodstains), and includes a bunch of major interface improvements, including better presentation of graphics and an experimental isometric view." - From angband.oook.cz.
The official Unangband home page is now at at https://dgolddragon28.github.io/Unangband/ which contains links to the latest releases and source code.
I would also like to thank the new Unangband maintainer DGoldDragon28 for taking over this variant. DGoldDragon28 had been developing a variant based on Unangband, and now has my blessing to continue with the main Unangband releases as well.